Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cheri's Spinach gnocchi and red pepper sauce

This seems more like a creation than a remake of anything I've had, but I'm hoping I can remember what I did :) The colors and flavors were yummy!



Spinach Gnocchi
I call this Gnocchi because the handmade chunks are rolled and cut the same way, but it's just pasta.

3 C flour
1/2 C water
pinch salt

Mix ingredients in a food processor, adding flour slowly.
Then add and chop:
lots of fresh spinach leaves,
(or maybe 1 C of frozen spinach)

Make dough into a ball and rest 30 minutes. (Rest the dough, not you!) Roll into 1/2 " snakes and cut in inch-long pieces. Add a little at a time to a pot of boiling water. Once they rise to the surface of the water, (it takes just a minute) they are ready to be scooped out.

For real Italian gnocchi, the recipe is:
2 lb washed potatoes, Boil in salted water 15-20 minites, peel and mash.
1/2 C flour Add and mix
1 t salt
Roll and cut into small pieces. When I was in Bari, Italy, they shaped them into little hats by pressing each piece with the thumb. I'm not that patient.

Add and toss with: 

 a marinara sauce


Cheri's Red Pepper Marinara

Saute
1 small onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 grated carrot
a red pepper, sliced or chopped
1 t basil

salt and pepper

add:
1 28 0z can diced tomatoes
Heat uncovered about 10 minutes.

Pour sauce over gnocchi.
Sprinkle on:
vegan parmesan (ground walnuts and nutritional yeast)
fresh basil or parsley, optional

No comments: